As we all try to navigate through this unprecedented and extremely challenging COVID-19 pandemic, the Canadian Malnutrition Task Force (CMTF) is compiling a list of resources that may be useful to our network. We will continually update this page as more materials become available. At the same time, if you have come across resources that have helped you, please send them our way and we will add them to the site. Please ensure to access local resources that support you in meeting local requirements and direction.
Thank you to the dedicated health care professionals who are providing care, and a special mention to the dietetics and food service staff who are working hard to provide the comfort of quality nutrition food to Canadians. You are so appreciated. Please stay well.
CMTF statements for nutritional management of individuals with Covid-19 infection
- COVID-19 Support Webinar Recordings, Hamilton Family Health Team
- Staying Heart Healthy During COVID-19
- What to Do During COVID-19 If you Have Diabetes - English and another in Portuguese
- Nourishing your Mental Health During COVID-19 Food and Mood: Diet and Depression
- Self Care Through Food: Managing Stress and Emotional Eating During COVID-19
- COVID-19 and implications on nutrition therapy, Fresenius Kabi
- Feeding the critically ill COVID-19 patient: From recommendations to bedside (Apr. 14, 2020) - Dr. Pierre Singer, Dr. Juan Carlos Lopez-Delgado and Dr. Roman Tetamo
- How to optimize nutrition on the road to recovery (Apr. 28, 2020) - Dr. Elisabeth De Wale, Dr. Michael Hiesmayr, Dr. Martin Brodsky
- COVID-19 and frailty – Importance of nutrition and exercise in the community (May 12, 2020)
- COVID-19 / Importance of Nutrition in Supporting Immune System, ILSI North America (Apr. 28, 2020) - Dr. Stéphane Vidry, Dr. Chrisitian Marin-Muller, Dr. Simin Nikbin Meydani
- Nutrition in Immune Response Against Viral Infection ILSI North America (May 5, 2020) - Philip Calder, PhD, DPhil, RNutr, FSB, FAfn, BSc. (Hons)
- Managing Nutrition Support for Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients (Slides), ASPEN and SCCM - Beth Taylor, Dr. Robert Martindale, Dr. Jayshil Patel
- Enteral Nutrition in the ICU: COVID 19 Challenges (recording), Nestlé Nutrition Institute - Dr. Robert Martindale and Dr. Jayshil Patel
- SARS-CoV-2 Nutrition: An Evolving Perspective, Nestlé Nutrition Institute - Dr. Juan Ochoa
- Nutrition of the Critically Ill COVID-19 Patient - Making it Simple, European Society of Intensive Care Medicine - Dr. Mette Berge and Dr. Claude Pichard
- COVID-19 – Nutritional Support in the ICU (recording), Nutricia & BDA Critical Care Specialist Gro - Liesl Wandrag, Danielle Bear
- Nutritional management of patients with COVID-19: What dietitians need to know - two-part series (recording), Dietitian Connection Australia
- Nutrition Management for Critically Ill Patients with COVID-19 - Dr. Emma Ridley
- Nutrition support in patients with severe respiratory disease: from hospital to home – Dr. Peter Collins
- COVID-19 and Diabetes - What do we know?, Diabetes Canada - Dr. Peter Lin and Dr. Alice Cheng
- Providing Nutrition Services via Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic: What RDNs Need to Know, Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics - Marsha Schofield, Pepin Tuma, Dana Buelsing
- On-Demand HERO Series - HELPING EMPOWER RECOVERY, Baxter Global Nutrition
- PART 1: NUTRITION MANAGEMENT OF COVID-19 ICU PATIENTS (Apr. 10, 2020) - Dr. Robert Martindale and Dr. Jayshil Patel
- PART 2: RESTRUCTURING NUTRITION SUPPORT SERVICES TO FACILITATE CARE FOR COVID-19 PATIENTS (Apr. 16, 2020) - Ella Terblanche, RD
- PART 3: EARLY NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTATION IN NON-ICU HOSPITALIZED COVID-19 PATIENTS (Apr. 23, 2020) - Alessandro Laviano, MD and Riccardo Caccialanza, MD
- PART 4: ADDRESSING NUTRITIONAL CHALLENGES OF COVID-19 PATIENTS FROM ASSESSMENT TO DISCHARGE (Apr. 30, 2020) - Dr. Paul Wischmeyer M.D., E.D.I.C., FASPEN, FCCM
- Guidance for Endoscopy Facilities to Reduce and Delay Transmission of COVID-19, CAG - Drs. Frances Tse, Kevin Waschke, Grigorios Leontiadis and Jeff Hawel
Resources for Researchers
- CIHR COVID-19, the go-to webpage for up-to-date CIHR funding opportunities, policies and other news related to COVID-19
- Crowdhelix, a global online tool for COVID-19 researchers to connect and stay up to date on funding news and opportunities
- CanCOVID, an expert network of Canadian COVID-19 researchers, clinical collaborators, and healthcare stakeholders from across the country.
- COVID-END, a tool to to help reduce duplication in and better coordinate the evidence syntheses, technology assessment and guidelines being produced.
- COVID-19 Resources Canada, a central hub designed to help those involved in COVID-19 research and development in Canada to locate human resources, expertise, reagents, equipment and information.
- NSERC Alliance COVID-19 grants, University researchers collaborating with private-sector, public-sector or not-for-profit organizations
- Tri-agency college grants: Applied Research Rapid Response to COVID-19, through the College and Community Innovation program, this funding opportunity will further leverage the expertise and infrastructure in these post-secondary institutions to rapidly mobilize support and expertise related to the COVID-19 outbreak.
American Society for Nutrition
ASPEN (American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
Australasian Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (AuSPEN)
BAPEN (British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
British Dietetic Association (BDA)
Canadian Association of Gastroenterologists
Canadian Nutrition Society (CNS)
COVID-19 and Nutrition Infographic
This COVID-19 and Nutrition infographic provides guidance on how to stay strong and healthy through good nutrition.
CNS gratefully acknowledges the initiative and leadership of Amber Hutchinson, MSc (University of Guelph) and Shirin Panahi, PhD (Université Laval) for researching and developing this infographic. We would like to also thank reviewers Carlota Basualdo-Hammond RD MSc MPH; Alison Duncan, PhD RD; Catherine Field, PhD RD; and Zannat Reza, RD for their valuable input on this resource.
Food is medicine
Patients with COVID-19 who required a hospital stay (including ICU or in a hospital ward) will have a long road to recovery after they return home. Nutrition plays an important role in a patient’s recovery process. CMTF and CNS are pleased to announce the creation of two nutrition resources that were developed to help patients and their families, and nutrition clinicians across the country.
The development of these infographics was led by Roseann Nasser, RD, MSc, FDC, CNSC, and Lesley Moisey, RD, PhD, with collaborators: Cathy Alberda, MSc, RD, Savita Bector, MSc, RD, Leah Gramlich, MD, FRCPC, Jaime Green, RD, Jan Greenwood, RD, Daren Heyland, MD, MSc, Heather Keller, RD, PhD, FDC, FCAHS, Manon Laporte, RD, MSc, CNSC.
A special thank you to Shirin Panahi, PhD, for designing and supporting content revisions.
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
Mental health and the COVID-19 Pandemic - Tips, coping strategies and resources for the public and health care workers
College of Dietitians of Ontario
Pandemic Guide for Registered Dietitians of Ontario
Dietitians of Canada
European Federation of Association of Dietitians
European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN)
Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (UK)
- Joint COVID-19 Guidance Website – The UK Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, UK Intensive Care Society, UK Association of Anaesthetists and UK Royal College of Anaesthetists have developed a joint website to provide the UK intensive care and anaesthetic community with information, guidance and resources required to support their understanding of and management of COVID-19
- Guidelines for the Provision of Intensive Care Services V2 – This document was designed to be used as the definitive reference source for planning and delivery of UK Intensive Care Services
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Government of Canada
Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, Kwantlen Polytechnic University partnered with four other universities across Canada and conducted a study on food access, concerns and food system perceptions during the COVID-19 pandemic first wave.
International Science Council
COVID-19 Global Science Portal
NNEdPro Global Centre for Nutrition and Health
University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine - Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
World Health Organization (WHO)